Stoned servers

Has anyone come up for a solution for stuck infobots?

I hae never put mine on a cron because usually when he turns up missing, it's
because he's "stuck", thinking he was sitting on a server he'd long been
disconnected from.

The circumstances under which this disconnection occurs where he doesn't
notice, I'm not sure.. but would it be possible to somehow add a "pulse" in
the IRC routines, that would ping the server or something every few minutes to
see if it was still really there?  Is the reading from the socket a blocking
call with no timeout currently?

 :        Bob Maple          : A fanatic is one who can't change his mind  :
 :   bmaple at burner.com    : and won't change the subject.               :
 : www.dimensional.com/~bobm :                                             :