Re: Patches and Matches

There's a lot of snippage in here.  Figure it out.

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 04:25:03PM +0900, scozens@pwj.co.jp wrote:
> First of all, congratulations to Oz on the success of Sphinx;
> if I've got it right, he's out at Linuxworld right now talking
> about Sphinx and Sourceforce. Hope it goes well. There's been
> a lot of very good coverage of Sphinx in the techno web press,
> and I think we can all agree it's going to be an important
> milestone in, for want of a better phrase, free speech.

::APPLAUSE::

(There, now wasn't that worth a six line quote?)

> To directly contradict all that I've just said, I don't know if
> we're yet at the point where we can start deprecating the old
> bot. Certainly, the new one should be the primary focus of
> development right now, and I'm hoping to run myself completely
> out of business pretty soon. :)

It would be nice if the bugs introduced between 0.44.2 and now would
go away, otherwise I'm all for the new bot getting primary focus.
Give us a procedure for creating extensions, and we'll get hopping.
:]

> However, if you do still want to kick around with it, here's
> me top 10 wish-list for what I'd like to see in the current 0.4x
> bot before we wrap it up. I'll be randomly implementing some of
> these as and when I get bored, so give me a shout if you want
> to play with them:
>
>      1) I don't want this to happen:
> <foo> Simon?
> <Simon> Yes?
> <purl> Simon is a matter of fact, or a villian in a million.
>
> How to avoid it: keep track of who's on the channel. (This is
> an excuse to put some more user-defined hooks on IRC events)
> On join : $whowhere{$channel.":".$person}++
> On part/nick change: $whowhere{$channel.":".$person}--

Sounds good, provided the behavior changes when addressed.

 <Masque> Simon?
 <Simon> Yes?
 <Masque> Sorry, meant:
 <Masque> purl, Simon?

> Don't respond if not addressed and $whowhere{$channel.":".$query}
>
>      2) Privacy on `seen', especially if spanning multiple
> channels. Hint, this is bad:
>
> <foo/#perl> purl, seen nou?
> <purl/#perl> nou was last seen 3 hours ago on #hotsex saying
> "whip me again with that leather vegetable!"
>
> I suggest multiple levels: users should be able to say
> `watch what I say and when I say it', `watch when I say something'
> or `don't watch me at all.' Further, channels should have a setting
> to state whether seen data is shared outside that channel.

I disagree, I would implement it soley based on channel status.
If the channel is +s and I say something, I think purl should keep
that information confined to the channel.  Otherwise I think the
current system works fine.  If you're in #poundmeharder and it's
not +s, people will know with a simple /whois anyway.

>      4) Ditto spanning multiple servers. The cheap hack we're
> doing with purl could be better. This could be a big project requiring
> some big source changes! Do not rush off and implement lightly!

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but it would be nice if purl
had a list of servers to choose from, so that she would come back
if her current server went down.

>      5) Anti-escaping. This is tedious:
> purl, \what \I want is <reply>\why do \you ask \what \you want\?
>
> and people get it wrong on a daily basis.
>
> This is not:
> purl, literal what I want => <reply>why do you ask what you want?

Very good idea, though s/=>/is/ will save confusion.

Then again, when has that ever been a goal of software design.... ;)

>      6) Update documentation, POD on extension modules and maybe
> autogenerate manual.

I VOLUNTEER!  I'd be THRILLED to help...find someone else to do this.

>      7) Collect other cool tales of what people are doing with
> infobots and write a web page with links.

heh.  Look up 'Sherlock' sometime.  Talk to joebloe.  There certainly
are some interesting other projects out there.  Otherwise a great idae.

>      9) CPAN i // or search.cpan interface

Nobody has done this YET!?  Six months ago I listed it in-channel as
my next project, and a whole bunch of people said things like "Way
ahead of you" and "Already almost done" and "Shut UP Masque, we're
sick of hearing you talk" and "Where's stimps?".  I took that as
a sign, else I'd have turned one in by now.  Maybe I can dig up the
framework I put together....

>      10) Masque, you had a cool extension idea I was going to steal
> but I've forgotten what it was.

Erm, uh, well, hrm.

OH.  I think I know what you're referring to.  I'll go find you now.

> That'll do for the moment, because I have just got a Perlix bug
> report, meaning that the world is surely about to end.
>
> Simon

Masque.