Re: private responses

On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 08:25:50PM -0600, David Blache wrote:
> on 12/7/99 8:29 PM, duff@cbi.tamucc.edu wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 08:03:10PM -0600, David Blache wrote:
> >> Infobot's behavior right now is to always list the entire factoid definition
> >> when the factoid is invoked via a private message.  I would much rather
> >> private messages invoke the same responses as public messages in general.
> >
> > How do you propose to handle the case when someone asks the bot
> > "literal foo?"  /dcc query?
>
> literal foo?  I'm not sure I know what "literal foo" is.  Please explain?

Say we have a factoid with multiple entries (multoid? :) separated
by pipes.  When someone queries the bot for "literal <factoid>" the
bot gives them *all* of the text for that factoid.  So how is "literal
<factoid>" to be responded when the literal factoid may be *really* long?

Example:

-> *purl* tpop quote
*purl* tpop quote is <reply>"C and friends present pernicious precedence
+problems"
-> *purl* literal tpop quote
*purl* PerlJam: tpop quote =is= <reply>"clarity is often achieved through
+brevity" |<reply>"Good code needs fewer comments than bad
code"|<reply>"C and friends present pernicious precedence problems"

Now, if each of those alternatives were as long as the maximum factoid
length, we'd have a really long answer to "literal tpop quote".  How
do you propose to handle this?

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff