ANSI escape codes

I'm running Linux (RH to be exact) and have noticed on the console that some
lines show up with ANSI escape codes in them - mostly the channel mode lines.

Upon looking into it, it uses $b, which upon looking into it, is defined as
c1('bold') which I have no idea what that means :)

In any case, I guess on other *nixes maybe this does the right thing, but am
curious as to why it doesn't in this case.  The other codes seem to work
('bold cyan' for instance).

Any ideas?

 :        Bob Maple          :                                             :
 :   bmaple at burner.com    :     Help stamp out, remove and abolish      :
 : www.dimensional.com/~bobm :     redundancy.                             :